Have your dessert…and eat your salad too!Posted by FJ Leto on August 25, 2021
When it comes to enjoying holiday treats, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. You can stay on the healthy path without depriving yourself. Enjoy what you love and leave the rest!
In addition to enjoying whatever drink or dish you choose, be sure to add plenty of the good stuff too! We’ve made it easy for you by creating a delicious and easy salad, made complete with toasted almonds and a sweet creamy dressing. This is one that’s sure to satisfy on all fronts. Happy Thanksgiving!
Serves 2-4 people, depending on serving size. For a larger group, double the recipe!
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of curly green kale, destemmed and chopped into ribbons
- 12 (large) brussels sprouts (about 2 big handfuls)**
- 3 TB. sliced almonds
- Dash of sea salt
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 TB. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- pinch of red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- Sprinkle a dash of sea salt over chopped kale and use your hands to massage it by lightly scrunching handfuls of kale in your hands. Release and repeat until the kale becomes darker in color and more fragrant. Transfer the kale to a medium serving bowl.
- Chop off and discard the stem end of the brussels sprouts and any discolored outer leaves. Slice the sprouts as thin as possible, then use your fingers to break up any clumps. Add the sprouts to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the tahini, vinegar, maple syrup and red pepper flakes. Whisk in the water slowly adding only as much as needed so the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the kale and sprouts and mix well.
- In a small pan over medium heat, toast the almond slivers, stirring frequently, until fragrant and turning golden (this will take less than five minutes so watch carefully). Add the toasted almonds to the salad and toss. Serve immediately.
**If you’re lucky to live near a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, you can often find Brussels Sprouts already shredded, making this an even easier salad to prepare!